« PreviousContinue »
tion in that subdivision after such date, represents more than 40 per centum of the total number of units in the subdivision, except that the preceding limitation shall not apply with regard to any rehabilitated unit, or to any unit or subdivision located or to be located in an established urban neighborhood or area, where a sound proposal is involved and where an aggregation of subsidized units is essential to a community sponsored overall redevelopment plan, as determined by the Secretary.
(0) The Secretary may insure a mortgage under this section involving a principal obligation which exceeds, by not more than 20 per centum, the maximum limits specified under subsection (b)(2) or (i)(3) of this section if the mortgage relates to a dwelling in an urban neighborhood where the Secretary determines that a community sponsored program of concentrated redevelopment or revitalization is being undertaken and the Secretary determines that such action is necessary to enable eligible families residing in the area who occupy substandard housing or are being involuntarily displaced to remain in the area in decent, safe, and sanitary housing.
(p) The Secretary may insure a mortgage under this section involving a principal obligation which exceeds, by not more than 10 per centum, the maximum limits specified under subsection (b)(2) or (i)(3) of this section, or, if applicable, the maximum principal obligation insurable pursuant to subsection (o) of this section, if the mortgage relates to a dwelling to be occupied by a physically handicapped person and the Secretary determines that such action is necessary to reflect the cost of making such dwelling accessible to and usable by such person.
(q)(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, except subsection (n), if the Secretary determines that there is a substantial need for emergency stimulation of the housing market, the Secretary is authorized to make and enter into contracts to make periodic assistance payments to the extent of not to exceed 75 per centum of the authority available pursuant to subsection (h)(1), on behalf of homeowners, including owners of manufactured homes, to mortgagees or other lenders holding mortgages, loans, or advances of credit which meet the requirements of this subsection. The Secretary may establish such criteria, terms, and conditions relating to homeowners and mortgages, loans, or advances of credit assisted under this subsection as the Secretary deems appropriate, consistent with the provisions of this subsection. The Secretary is authorized to insure a mortgage which meets the requirements of and is to be assisted under this subsection. The authority to enter into contracts to provide assistance payments and to insure mortgages under this subsection shall terminate on September 30, 1985, or at such earlier date as the Secretary may deem appropriate, upon a determination by the Secretary that the conditions which gave rise to the exercise of authority under this subsection are no longer present, except pursuant to a commitment entered into prior to such date.
(2) Payments under this subsection may be made only on behalf of a homeowner who satisfies such eligibility requirements as may be prescribed by the Secretary and who
(A)(i) is a mortgagor under a mortgage which meets the requirements of and is insured under this subsection, or (ii) is the original owner of a new manufactured home consisting of two or more modules and a lot on which the manufactured home is situated, where insurance under section 2 of this Act covering the loan, advance of credit, or purchase of an obligation representing such loan or advance of credit to finance the purchase of such manufactured home and lot has been granted to the lender making such loan, advance of credit, or purchase of an obligation; and
(B) has a family income, at the time of initial occupancy, which does not exceed 130 per centum of the area median income for the area (with adjustments for smaller and larger families, unusually high or low median family income, or other factors), as determined by the Secretary.
(3) Assistance payments to a mortgagee or other lender by the Secretary on behalf of a homeowner shall be made only during such time as the homeowner shall continue to occupy the property which secures the mortgage, loan, or advance of credit. The Secretary may, where a mortgage insured under this subsection has been assigned to the Secretary, continue making such assistance payments.
(4) The amount of the assistance payments in the case of a mortgage shall not at any time exceed the lesser of
(A) the balance of the monthly payment for principal, interest, taxes, insurance, and any mortgage insurance premium due under the mortgage remaining unpaid after applying a minimum of 25 per centum of the mortgagor's income, except that the Secretary may reduce such per centum of income to the extent he deems necessary, but not lower than 20 per centum of the mortgagor's income; or
(B) the difference between the amount of the monthly payment for principal, interest, and any mortgage insurance premium which would be required if the mortgage were a level payment mortgage bearing interest at a rate equal to the maximum interest rate which is applicable to level payment mortgages insured under section 203(b), other than mortgages subject to section 3(a)(2) of Public Law 90-301, and the monthly payment for principal and interest which the mortgagor would be obligated to pay if the mortgage were a level payment mortgage bearing interest at the rate of at least 91⁄2 per centum per
(5) Assistance payments on behalf of the owner of a manufactured home shall not at any time exceed the lesser of
(A) the balance of the monthly payment for principal, interest, real and personal property taxes, insurance, and insurance premium chargeable under section 2 of this Act due under the loan or advance of credit remaining unpaid after applying a minimum of 25 per centum of the manufactured homeowner's income, except that the Secretary may reduce such per centum of income to the extent he deems necessary, but not lower than 20 per centum of the mortgagor's income; or
(B) the difference between the amount of the monthly payment for principal, interest, and insurance premium chargea
ble under section 2 of this Act which the manufactured homeowner is obligated to pay under the loan or advance of credit and the monthly payment of principal and interest which the owner would be obligated to pay if the loan or advance of credit were to bear an interest rate determined by the Secretary which shall not be less than 12 per centum per annum. (6) The Secretary may include in the payment to the mortgagee or other lender such amount, in addition to the amount computed under paragraph (4) or (5), as the Secretary deems appropriate to reimburse the mortgagee or other lender for its reasonable and necessary expenses in handling the mortgage, loan, or advance of
(7) The Secretary shall prescribe such regulations as the Secretary deems necessary to assure that the sale price of, or other consideration paid in connection with, the purchase by a homeowner of the property with respect to which assistance payments are to be made is not greater than the appraised value as determined by the Secretary.
(8) Assistance payments pursuant to paragraph (5) shall not be made with respect to more than 20 per centum of the total number of units with respect to which assistance is approved under this subsection.
(9) The Secretary may, in addition to mortgages insured under subsection (i) or (j), insure, upon application by the mortgagee, a mortgage executed by a mortgagor who meets the eligibility requirements for assistance payments prescribed by the Secretary under paragraph (2). Commitments for the insurance of such mortgages may be issued by the Secretary prior to the date of their execution or disbursement thereon, upon such terms and conditions as the Secretary may prescribe.
(10) To be eligible for insurance under this subsection, a mortgage shall
(A) be a first lien on real estate held in fee simple, or on a leasehold under a lease which meets terms and conditions established by the Secretary;
(B) have been made to, and be held by, a mortgagee approved by the Secretary as responsible and able to service the mortgage properly;
(C) involve a one- to four-family dwelling which has been approved by the Secretary prior to the beginning of construction, or if not so approved, has been completed within one year prior to the filing of the application for insurance and which has never been sold other than to the mortgagor;
(D) involve a principal residence the sales price of which does not exceed 82 per centum of the applicable maximum principal obligation of a mortgage which may be insured in the area pursuant to section 203(b)(2), determined without regard to the last sentence of such section;
(E) have maturity and amortization provisions satisfactory to the Secretary;
(F) bear interest (exclusive of permium charges for insurance, and service charges if any) at not to exceed the applicable maximum rate for mortgages insured pursuant to section 203(b);
(G) be executed by a mortgagor who shall have paid in cash or its equivalent, on account of the property, at least an amount equal to 3 per centum of the Secretary's estimate of the cost of acquisition; and
(H) contain such other terms and conditions as the Secretary may prescribe.
(11) The Secretary shall, to the extent practicable, insure mortgages under this subsection which are secured by properties which contribute to the conservation of land and energy resources.
(12) A mortgage to be assisted under this subsection shall, where the Secretary deems it appropriate, provide for graduated payments pursuant to section 245.
(13) The Secretary shall develop and utilize a system to allocate assistance under this subsection in a manner which assures a reasonable distribution of such assistance among the various regions of the country and which takes into consideration such factors as population, relative decline in building permits, the need for increased housing production, and other factors he deems appropriate. Assistance provided under this subsection shall not be subject to section 213 of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974.
(14) Upon the disposition by the homeowner of any property assisted pursuant to this subsection, or where the homeowner rents the property (or the owner's unit in the case of a two- to fourfamily residence) for a period longer than one year, the Secretary shall provide for the recapture of an amount equal to the lesser of (A) the amount of assistance actually received under this subsection, other than any amount provided under paragraph (6), or (B) an amount at least equal to 50 per centum of the net appreciation of the property, as determined by the Secretary. For the purpose of this paragraph, the term "net appreciation of the property" means any increase in the value of the property over the original purchase price, less the reasonable costs of sale, the reasonable costs of improvements made to the property, and any increase in the mortgage balance as of the time of sale over the original mortgage balance due to the mortgage being insured pursuant to section 245. In providing for such recapture, the Secretary shall include incentivies for the homeowner to maintain the property in a marketable condition. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, any such assistance shall constitute a debt secured by the property to the extent that the Secretary may provide for such recapture.
(15) Procedures shall be adopted by the Secretary for recertification of the homeowner's income at intervals of two years (or at shorter intervals where the Secretary deems it desirable) for the purpose of adjusting the amount of such assistance payments within the limits of the formula described in paragraph (4) or (5).
RENTAL AND COOPERATIVE HOUSING FOR LOWER INCOME FAMILIES
SEC. 236. (a) For the purpose of reducing rentals for lower income families, the Secretary is authorized to make, and to contract to make, periodic interest reduction payments on behalf of the owner of a rental housing project designed for occupancy by lower income families, which shall be accomplished through payments to mortga
gees holding mortgages meeting the special requirements specified in this section.
(b) Interest reduction payments with respect to a project shall only be made during such time as the project is operated as a rental housing project and is subject to a mortgage which meets the requirements of, and is insured under, subsection (j) of this section: Provided, That the Secretary is authorized to continue making such interest reduction payments where the mortgage has been assigned to the Secretary: Provided further, That interest reduction payments may be made with respect to a mortgage or part thereof on a rental or cooperative housing project owned by a private nonprofit corporation or other private nonprofit entity, a limited dividend corporation or other limited dividend entity, or a cooperative housing corporation, which is financed under a State or local program providing assistance through loans, loan insurance, or tax abatements, and which may involve either new or existing construction and which is approved for receiving the benefits of this section. The term "mortgage insurance premiums," when used in this section in relation to a project financed by a loan under a State or local program, means such fees and charges, approved by the Secretary, as are payable by the mortgagor to the State or local agency mortgagee to meet reserve requirements and administrative expenses of such agency.
(c) The interest reduction payments to a mortgagee by the Secretary on behalf of a project owner shall be in an amount not exceeding the difference between the monthly payments for principal, interest, and mortgage insurance premium which the project owner as a mortgagor is obliged to pay under the mortgage and the monthly payment for principal and interest such project owner would be obligated to pay if the mortgage were to bear interest at the rate of 1 per centum per annum.
(d) The Secretary may include in the payment to the mortgagee such amount, in addition to the amount computed under subsection (c), as he deems appropriate to reimburese the mortgagee for its expenses in handling the mortgage.
(e) As a condition for receiving the benefits of interest reduction payments, the project owner shall operate the project in accordance with such requirements with respect to tenant eligibility and rents as the Secretary may prescribe. Procedures shall be adopted by the Secretary for review of tenant incomes at intervals of one year (or at shorter intervals where the Secretary deems it desirable).
(f)(1) For each dewlling unit there shall be established with the approval of the Secretary (A) a basic rental charge determined on the basis of operating the project with payments of principal and interest due under a mortgage bearing interest at the rate of 1 per centum per annum; and (B) a fair market rental charge determined on the basis of operating the project with payment of principal, interest, and mortgage insurance premium which the mortgagor is obligated to pay under the mortgage covering the project. The rental for each dwelling unit shall be at the basic rental charge or
For implementation of amendments made to this subsection affecting tenant rents, see page 167 of this compilation.