« PreviousContinue »
of anthropogenic emissions of greenhouse gases/thoir not emissions of greenhouse gases
thoi. Purtia shall also assist other parties in adopting similar policies and measuros/theso Parties shall us agrood in IV.2.2 and rv.2.3 of this convention also provide the moano to enable the other Partio to adopt nocessary measures
dovolop country policies and measures will/shall
line 1 stabilizing/stabilising and subsequently reducing individually or jointly/individually lines caissions of cusbon dioxido/the total of all groonhouse gases not covered by the Montreal Protocol/caissions of carbon dioxide and othor greenhouse gasei not covered by the Montrol Protocol
by the you 2000/by the you 1995/1 soon u fousible Embar
bast availablo sciontific information/proved scientific basis
SPECIFIC COLOCITUENTS ON FINANCIAL RESOURCES)
Developed country Parties (may provide on a voluntary basis]/[shall commit to the fund established unde this convention, through assessed contributions, adequate, new and additional) financial resources, (separate from agrood official Dovelopment Assistance (ODA) levels, 1 to meet the I fulll/lagreed) incremental costs of developing country Parties, paying particular attention to the needs of least developed countries, (to be provided on a grant basis), (required to fulfil the commitments under]/[to take measures provided for in this convention 1.1/10 to (cover the adaptation and mitigation costs to developing countries that would be needed as a result of]/[mitigate and adapt to the adverse consequences of climate change, and the direct and indirect social and economic costs to dovoloping countries that may result from the implementation of the Convention. ) (other Parties (and International organizations and other institutions in a position to do so may (also contribute/Iprovide contributions on a voluntary basis.)
(TBCLOIOLOGY COOPERATION]/[TRUSTER OF TECIDIOLOGY) I
The Parties shall make every effort to ensure efficient cooperation in and related to technology transfer. (All Partios, particularly, developed country Parties, shall tako all practicable steps to promote the transfer of and to provido) (assured) access to (environmentally safe and sound) technologies and know-how lon concessional, preferential and most favourable terms] to developing country Parties, paying particular attention to the needs of leist developed countries, to enhance their ability to implement this Convention. (The Parties shall identify and take appropriate stops to reduce or allminate unjustifiable barriers to the transfer of technology. 1 (They should ensure that the lack of) protection of Intellectual property rights does not hinder such transtor. ] In this process, the essential role of endogenous capacities and technologies in developing countries should be enhanced and supported by the developed country Parties.
1(a) Developing country Parties shall (in accordance with the objective and Principles itipulated in Sections 11 and 111, and in accordance with their national development plans, prioritie, objectives and specific country conditions) (consider taking cousiblol/(undertake ) nousurus to mitigati climate change (through control of [their net] emissions of greenhouse gases (and maintenance and enhancement, where appropriate, of sinks and reservoirs)). (provided that the lagreed]/ituill incremental costs involved are .not by the provision of Inow, adequate and additional) financial resources from the developed country Parties).]
[(b) Compliance with this convention by developing country Parties will be depandent upon the effective implementation of the provisions of this convention on financial resources and transfer of tochnology. ]
110.3. SPECIAL SITUATIONS /
1. The Parties shall give full consideration to the specific needs,
(a) small island countries;
countries with aroui prone to natural disasters;
countries with aroas liable to drought and desertification and
landlocked and transit countries.
2. The Parties shall take full account of the specific needs and special situations of the loust developed countries in their action with regard to funding and transfer of technology. 13. The Parties shall develop and adopt u "groen plan" with appropriate emergency measures and mechanisms for the protection and recovery of fragile •cosystems, particularly arid and seni arid erous affected by drought and desertification in Africa, in order to limit thoir vulnerability to climate change.)
The Parties shall, in accordance with Article ...2/ take into consideration, in the laplementation of the comitments of the Convention, and in the adoption of concrete moulures, the situation of Partio, particularly developing country Parties, whose economios are highly dependent on the production and/or export of fossil fuels and associated energy intensive products and/or the use of fossil fuolo for which such parties have serious difficulties in switching to alternatives. 5. The Pare recognise that in the acceptance and the implementation of the commits of tha convention, o cortain degree of flexibility has to be given to countries with economies in transition, which are in the stage of transit frar entrally planned system to market economy, to enhance their ability to cope with climate change.
2/ Subject to the formulation of institutions and their functions (Contorence of the Partia, Implementation Committee, Disputo Settlement Proceduros, etc.) to be drafted by working Group il.
V. COOPERATION ON SCIONCS, RESERCI,
INFORMATION AND EDUCATION
V.1. SCIITIPIC, TECDTICAL AND TECIDIOLOGICAL NBRUCI (MID DEVELOPIDIT),
SYSTEUTIC OBSERVATION AND COOPERATION 1. Each Party shall promote and cooperate in scientific, technological, technical, socio-economic and other research (and development), systematic observation and development of data archivos related to the climate system and alaing to further the understanding and to reduce and clarify the remaining uncertainties regarding causes and effects of climate change and regarding the economic and social consequences of alternative response strategies (as elaborated in Annex 1).
12. Parties that do not have the indigenous capability to undertako research and development will be ensured assistance in these areas. )
12. The Parties shall take into account the particular concerns and needs of dovoloping countries and (sook to promote thol (laprovo thoir) capacity and capability (of all parties) to participate in these cooperative of torti.l.
12. The Parties shall take into account the particular concerns and needs of developing countries.)
12. The Parties shall take into account the particular concerns and needs of doveloping countries and seek to improve their capacity and their capability to participate in these cooperative efforts. In doing so, the Partia shali work towards the improvement of the capability of developing countries to collect and assess climate information, prepare not emission inventoria, assess possible impacts of global warming and the cost of foctive response to it and participate in international research and development programs and in the promotion of the development and transfer of environmentally sate tochnologies and technical as well as financial assistance. ) 3. The Parties shall support international and intergovernmental efforts to strengthen the observational networks and data collection as well as scientific and technical research capacities particularly in developing countries (for timely exchange of rolovant scientific and technological information. Special musuroi shall be implemented to promote access to data obtained fra vou beyond national jurisdiction. )
The Portion shall also seek to minimize duplication of effort in resears. and systematic observation by utilizing, where possible, existing competent international and intergovernmental bodies.
In order to achieve the objective of the Convention, the Parties (shalll (may] facilitate and encourage, Itaking into account the special circumstances of developing countries, ) directly or i, us far as possible, 1 through (existing competent International and intergovernmental organizations, full je opon) and timely exchange of relevant scientific, technological, technical, socio-economic and legal (available) Information (as described in Annex II). (The Parties recognize that cooperation under this Annex has to be consistent with national laws, regulations and practices regarding patents, trade secrets and protection of confidential and proprietary information. Il
(V.3. EDUCATION, TRAINING AND PUBLIC AWAONES:
1. In order to incrouse the understanding of climate change (and the uncertainties surrounding it! and to facilitate appropriate responses, the Parties shall promote education, training and public awareness relatod to climate change.
2. At the national (and/or regional] lovel and in accordance with
awareness programmes on climate chango;
developing appropriate responses; and
At the International level, using existing organizations, institutions and channels where appropriate, the Parties shall cooperate in and promotor (a) The development and exchange of educational and public awareness
material on climate changes and
programmes, including the exchange or secondment of personnel, in
particular for developing countrio.
programmes should be carried out by:
countries in the developed countries' institutions in the
short and medium tormi (11). In the long term, wist developing countries to build such
Institutions on their own; and (111) Exchange or secondment of personnel to train experts in this
fiold in the developing countries. ]]