« PreviousContinue »
INVESTIGATION OF PRESIDENTIAL,
VICE PRESIDENTIAL, AND SENATORIAL
SPECIAL COMMITTEE TO INVESTIGATE PRESIDEN-
SENATE RESOLUTIONS Nos. 212, 291, AND 336
TOGETHER WITH A
SUPPLEMENTAL STATEMENT BY MR. ADAMS AND
FEBRUARY 15, 1941.-Ordered to be printed
GOVERNMENT PRINTING OFFICE
1991 A5 1940
SPECIAL COMMITTEE TO INVESTIGATE PRESIDENTIAL, VICE PRESIDENTIAL, AND SENATORIAL CAMPAIGN EXPENDITURES,
LISTER HILL, Alabama
GUY M. GILLETTE, Iowa, Chairman
CLYDE M. REED, Kansas
CHARLES W. TOBEY, New Hampshire
1. Subjects of investigation..
2. Purposes of investigation..
(a) Study in aid of remedial legislation...
(b) Aid in deciding senatorial seat contests.
(a) Upon special committee's initiative...
(b) Complaint to special committee..
5. Special committee to report to Senate..
C. Policy of special committee__
1. Limit of $5,000 on individual contributors-
2. Limit of $3,000,000 on contributions or expenditures
3. Limit on activities of administrative employees of
4. Extension of provisions of act to State employees paid
C. Voluntary interpretations of Hatch Act.
1. General counsel, Republican, National Committee...
2. General counsel, Democratic National Committee..
3. Statement by United States Attorney General.
4. Special committee position...
III. Activities of special committee....
A. Characterization and summary of activities.
1. Contributions, expenditures, and related activities..
(a) Contributions, expenditures, and activities of
Democratic, Republican, and independent
(b) Senatorial contributions and expenditures - 13
(c) Miscellaneous political organization contri-
(d) Observations on method of reporting contri-
2. Character of campaign literature..
3. Political activities by Federal agencies..
(a) Alleged activity of Agricultural Adjustment
(b) Intimidation of Work Projects Administration
(c) Alleged padding of Work Projects Adminis-
(d) Intimidation of signers of Communist peti-
(e) Alleged abuses by Surplus Commodity Cor-