Page images

Dr. Virgil Kinnaird, who has been surgeon at the Kings County hospital at Brooklyn, N. Y., for three years, has decided to locate in his native town and assist his father in pracpractice, in Lancaster.

Dr. I. N. Fillatrean, for fourteen years a practicing physician at Knottsville, has bought out the interest of Dr. E. D. Turner at Sorgho, and is moving to-day to his new location, where he will take up his practice. Dr. Filliatrean is one of the best known physicians in the county. During the summer he has been camping with his family at Shively, Ky.

Dr. Turner has gone to Cave City, his old home, where he will take up his practice. He left with his family on October 25. Dr. Turner has been located at Sorgho for eight


Dr. George F. Doyle, of Philadelphia, who married Miss Anna Laura Drake, of Mt. Sterling, has completed arrangements for locating in Winchester for the practice of his profession as an eye, ear and nose specialist. His family will join him some time this week to make their future home in the Clark county capital.

Dr. Elmer N. Estes, formerly of Owenton, a graduate of the Louisville Medical College, 1906, announced last night his intention of locating in Lexington in the near future for the practice of his profession. Dr. Estes has had special hospital work in Cincinnati and before moving to Louisville several years ago, practiced in Newport and Covington for a while.

Owing to the ill health of Dr. John E. Pack, Dr. H. V. Johnson is acting as County Health officer of Scott county.

The marriage of Miss Calloway Squires to Dr. Charles Harrison McChord, of Lebanon, Ky., was celebrated Thursday evening at Meadow Brook, the home in the country on the Cleveland pike, of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Richard Martin Squires.

The bride and bridegroom begin life together with brightest prospects and the good wishes of all for perfect happiness.

Some people in Owensboro were surprised to learn that one of the most noted surgeons in the United States passed up the Ohio river Friday afternoon, in the person of Dr. W. J. Mayo, of Mayo Brothers, Rochester, Minnesota. Dr. Mayo and party are enroute to the shipyard at Jeffersonville, Ind., where Dr. Mayo's boat, which is somewhat larger than the Inquirer, will undergo repairs, while the party will return home by rail. The boat has traversed the Mississippi, Cumberland and Ohio rivers, and is the annual excursion made by Dr. Mayo on American American inland waters. He has now traversed all the inland waters of this country, he says.

The Owensboro Medical Society met in regular session Tuesday evening, October 26, 1915, at the office of Dr. ('. J. Lockhart. A paper by 0. W. Rash, was read. There were reports of cases by Drs. T. J. Townsend and J. M. Stuart.

At Evansville where Dr. Mayo and party stopped for a few moments, an effort was made by several newspaper reporters to interview the famous surgeon on "What effect the European war will have on surgery."

"Newspaper men all up and down the river have been asking me what effect the European "I don't know because we have no records of any important discoveries or findings since. war will have on surgery," stated Dr. Mayo. the opening of the war because we cannot get verified accounts."

Dr. Mayo is a pleasant-faced man of middle age with iron-gray hair. He was dressed in a light suit. His boat is one of the most luxuriantly appointed seen here in a long time.

In Dr. Mayo's party were Dr. and Mrs. D. C. Balfour, Mrs. D. W. Burkman, Dr. and Mrs. V. C. Vaughn, Mrs. Kahler, Mrs. D. G. Damon, Miss Gabler, all of Rochester, and Dr. and Mrs. Richard C. Hart, Philadelphia.

Dr. E. L. Branaman's residence in Fairview, Shelbyville, was sold at public sale Saturday afternoon to William Thomasson, of this city, for $3,050. Possession will be given. November 1, when Dr. Branaman and his family will move to Fisherville.

Dr. Ansel Thomas, of Louisville, was in Bardstown, Monday, October 28, 1915. He will move to Bardstown in about two weeks and occupy his handsome home on upper Third street.

The Louisville Courier-Journal, of the 10th says: "Dr. Harris Kelly, superintendent of the Eruptive Hospital, in his annual report to the Board of Public Safety says that out of 176 cases of smallpox treated there last year no deaths occurred. He credited this showing to general vaccination and proper management. There has been but one death in Louisville from smallpox in more than ten years."

The startling statement was made by the legal representative of the Kentucky board of pharmacy at the recent meeting in Louisville that the selling of morphine and narcotics had been transferred from unprincipled druggists to unprincipled physicians, since the passage of the Harrison anti-narcotic law. That there were unscrupulous druggists and unscrupulous physicians in the state was known to the reputable in each profession and that there still are is shown conclusively by the fact that the law is being violated or evaded in some instances.

The reputable trade people want protection and that will be given, in their opinion, by the legislature providing for the revocation of the license of a physician who has been convicted the second time for a violation of the anti-narcotic law, just as a druggist's license is now revoked for the same offense when repeated. The law of revocation is being rigidly enforced against the druggists who dare. violate the statutory provisions and several licenses have been taken away from unprincipled men. If the same is done in regard to the so-called "doctors" who have no regard for law or life, a great reform will be perfected, whereas it is now only a halfway measure and feeble in its results.

The State Board of Pharmacy has done good work for the people and for the trade. which it represents, but the desired law is much needed and there is no reason why it should not be passed, especially in view of the fact that, as Mr. Bloomfield, the legal representative of the board, pointed out in his report, ten times as much morphine is now being ordered by a certain class of irresponsible physicians as they formerly used, showing plainly that these men are taking advantage of this weakness in the law to reap a rich harvest at the expense of the mental and physical slaves of opium.

Dr. R. H. Creel, of the United States public health department, in a report just made public, says that New Orleans, to rid the place of the rat pest and ward off the bubonic plague, from which the city has suffered in the past, has expended $4,500,000 and made rat-proof 74,426 houses, tearing away 7,000 buildings not considered worth enough to give attention to, leaving still 37,000 houses to be looked after. The pests of this country as well as the diseases to which the flesh is heir annually costs, in one way or the other, many dollars and also many lives, yet the people are prone to find fault loud and long over the efforts to prevent the expenditure of both the dollars and lives. While it is certain the work done at New Orleans will prove a preventive of bubonic plague through the rat pest-its

greatest known incentive-the people will not generally accept the work as worth the money it cost.

Final action by the Jefferson County Medical Society covering the selection of new quarters was deferred upon receipt of a notice that the Board of Public Safety was considering the advisability of permitting the organization to continue meeting in the basement of the city hospital.

The society, which formerly maintained a suite of offices in the downtown section, has been meeting in an unassigned ward in the hospital basement. Dr. J. W. Fowler, superintendent of the hospital, recently notified the Board of Safety that, owing to the trebling of nurses at the hospital, the doctors would have to vacate. A committee was thereupon appointed to investigate whether to meet in the hospital auditorium or select new quarters uptown. When official notification was received by the society yesterday that the Board of Public Safety was reconsidering, this committee was continued.

The Henry County Medical Society met in the court room at New Castle, Monday. The president, having gone on a visit to Dr. Bickers, at Port Royal, who is ill, was late in arriving and Vice President Webb Suter presided during the session. Physicians present: C. R. Johnson, A. P. Dowden, M. Bell, O. P. Goodwin, Webb Suter, W. B. Oldham, W. L. Nuttall, Owen Carroll, W. J. Morris, T. J. Hower.

Interesting reports on some of the proceedings of the State Medical Association were made by Dr. Johnson, Dr. Chapman and Dr. Carroll. They told of certain new ideas in surgery and other practice. Dr. Johnson declared it to be the best meeting he had seen in 25 years and declared that its personnel was splendid.

A letter from the Tuberculosis Commission was read asking cooperation in certain plans. Favorable action was taken.

There was some consideration of the proposition to aid in building a sanitarium or hospital in Henry County. It was strongly favored but no steps were taken.

There was informal discussion of alleged practice in the county but the matter passed. There will be a special meeting in New Castle next Monday.

The Cesarean operation was successfully performed upon Mrs. Fred Mackey at the Continental Hospital, Pineville, October 13, and also a large tumor removed. The babe was an eight-pound girl and is alive and healthy. The mother is doing well.

[merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][ocr errors][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small][merged small]
[blocks in formation]

The Secretary reported bills to the amount of $31.05, covering expenses to the State meeting which were, by a vote, ordered paid.

A. Sargent reported a case of rheumatism in a one-year-old child. Relieved promptly with

sodium salicylate.

The delegation to the State meeting, Drs. Keith and Sandbach, made their reports of the meeting and Drs. Bassett, Gaither and Harned made short talks on the meeting which made every one present that was not in Louisville, sorry that they had missed such a great meeting.

B. A. Caudle read an excellent paper on "What I do in the Obstetrical Chamber." He gave his experience in obstetrics in the country. Demanding repeated specimen of urine. Desires to be called early. Uses morphine, chloroform, and pituitrin when indicated.

A. Sargent: Prefer to be engaged early. Try to impress that they are living two lives. Loose

clothing, often go hungry and avoid parties, though living a happy life. Believe in a speedy delivery of the placenta after the use of chloroform. Repair lacterations at once. Very little experience with pituitrin. Am pleased with twilight sleep. Do not give ergot.

H. P. Sights: A splendid and practical paper. Demand specimen of urine every week for the last three months. Don't over-develop the child. Can do this by extra living. Believe in the careful use of chloroform and morphine.

W. E. Reynolds: We do not examine the urine often enough. Our poisons never comes from the hands. Do not have infection without large loss of blood.

W. R. Frey: I like morphine in small doses often repeated. Do not like atropine. I not only demand a specimen of urine but demand that the patient comes to the office, hence I know just what to expect. Do not go till labor is well advanced. Believe in early delivery of placenta. Never have lost a patient from hemorrhage.

F. M. Stites: Just one word about the placent. Do not get in a hurry about delivery. Never pass hand.

Often wait 15 minutes. Do not have to pass hand in one case in a thousand. Never felt of being of any service in getting the head over the perineum.

W. S. Sandbach: Prefer ether to chloroform. With ether and morphine can almost rival twilight sleep. Use pituitrin in both labor and abortion. Do not get in a hurry in delivering the placenta. Am not sure of much service in getting the head over the perineum.

Austin Bell: Can't see how I can know just what to expect even after a preliminary examination. Prefer to be called early. Don't think we should ever use pituitrin in primipara.

B. A. Caudle: (closing): I appreciate the discussion. Have nothing further to add.

No further business the society stood adjourned until the third Tuesday in November.

W. S. SANDBACH, Secretary.

Eagle Valley-The Eagle Valley Medical Society met at Sanders, October 13th, 1915, and was called to order by President George Purdy. The minutes of the previous meeting were read and approved.

Secretary read a letter from G. C. Hall in regard to changing date of August meeting so it would not conflict with the Muldraugh Hill Society's August meeting.

Moved by Dr. Ellis and seconded by Dr. Pirrung that the secretary be empowered to change the date of the August meeting so as not to conflict with any district meeting.

J. Edw. Pirrung read a paper "The End Results of Infection in the Bile Passages." Show ing how important it was to make an early diag nosis for the welfare of the patient. Discussed

by C. B. Spalding for the surgical side, and W. F. Boggess, for the medical side.

W. F. Boggess said that so many of our prolonged typhoid cases were due to an infection of the gall bladder and by the early use of typhoid vaccine we could prevent some of these infections.

A. E. Threlkeld read a paper on "Chronic Hypertension," showing that it was only a symptom and not a disease and that we should not try and reduce the blood pressure too low, for we would do our patient more harm than good by doing so. This paper was enjoyed by all. Discussed by Drs. Boggess and Benjamin..

J. E. Benjamin brought out the point that we should not only take the systolic pressure but the diastolic pressure, giving us the mean pressure thereby estimating the amount of work the heart muscles are doing.

W. F. Boggess read a paper on "Management of Bright's Disease," which was a very instructive paper, showing how by the proper care and management, these patients could go on living for a long time fairly comfortable with diseased kidneys.

Discussed by Drs. Pirrung, Benjamin, Robertson, Duvall and others.

J. E. Benjamin read a very interesting paper, "The Symptoms and Treatment In Decompensation of the Heart." The paper spoke for itself that Dr. Benjamin had given this subject quite a good deal of study and thought. Discussed by Drs. Duvall, Robertson, Boggess and Pirrung.

J. E. Pirrung said that he had a selfish motive in asking Dr. Benjamin to read this paper as he knew he had been doing this kind of work and was anxious to learn more about it himself. Dr. Boggess said the society owed Dr. Pirrung a vote of thanks for having Dr. Benjamin read this pa


Election of officers for the ensuing year resulted as follows: A. E. Threlkeld was elected President, Dr. Williams, Vice President; Allen Donaldson, Secretary and Treasurer. Motion made by Dr. Brown and seconded by Dr. Ellis that we adjourn. Carried.


Taylor-The Taylor County Medical Society met in the office of the secretary, October 7, 1915.

Present, Drs. Reesor, Elrod, Buchanan, Gowdy. Black, S. H. Kelsay, Hiestand and Atkinson.

The Secretary read to the society the invitation to attend the meeting of the Mississippi Valley Medical Society in Lexington.

The Secretary also read a communication from the Kentucky Board of Tuberculosis Commission


E. L. Gowdy reported a series of cases of sore throat with ulceration and formation of pseudo membrane, which could be wiped away. Chil


dren had high fever, and enlarged glands. Membrane extended to nose but did not extend downward. All recovered, illness lasting about five days. Did not treat them as diphtheria.

J. L. Atkinson saw one of Dr. Gowdy's cases of sore throat and did not think it was diphtheria. It was his opinion that the streptococcus was the guilty germ in these cases.

C. V. Hiestand reported a case of a woman whose last child was twenty months old. She began to menstruate in August. He was called about the first of October. Found cervix dilated which was increased and he delivered a threemonths dead fetus, with bad odor. His question in this case had fetus been dead long.

J. L. Atkinson made a condensed report of the principal points in Dr. O'Connor's paper read before the State Medical Asociation on the use of pituitrin in incomplete abortion.

O. R. Reesor reported using repeated doses of pituitrin in a case of labor beginning the use of the extract before there was complete dilatation of the os. Said the 1st, 2nd and 3rd doses of 1-2 c.c. each produced very little effect but the 4th dose of 1 c.c. produced prompt and decided results.

E. L. Gowdy reported a case of abortion in which he elicited the information that the patient had taken a tablespoonful of turpentine.

O. R. Reesor read a paper on "Fractures of the Upper Extremity." The subject being a large one the doctor devoted the time of his paper to description and diagnosis of the various fractures of that region.

E. L. Gowdy emphasized the fact, so prominently brought out by Dr. Murphy before the State Association, that a fracture that is properly or completely reduced will not be painful.

C. V. Hiestand discussed the difficulty in diagnosis of injuries in or near the elbow joint.

S. H. Kelsay also discussed the same phase of the subject, and also says that non-union often occurs in fractures of the humerous.

Serum Ferments and Antiferments During Trypsin Shock.-The experiments conducted by the authors have demonstrated that when active trypsin solutions are injected into the blood stream an intoxication results, manifested by marked gastro-intestinal irritation, a rise of temperature, with a primary leukopenia, followed by a leukocytosis. There is usually an immediate rise in serum protease and serum esterase, together with a lengthening of the coagulation time, which in some instances may lead to a complete inhibition of coagulation. In many ways the picture is not disimilar to anaphylactic shock. In the latter condition there is associated, however, a marked increase in the non-coagulable nitrogen of the serum, representing protein split products, and in so far differing from the effect with trypsin. The antiferment usually shows a distinct drop in titer, with a recovery following in from four to twenty-four hours. The noncoagulable nitrogen shows no constant alteration, but is never greatly changed in amount. Inactivated preparations were in some respects followed by symptoms similar to those following the injection of the active preparation. Subcutaneous and gastric absorption was practically without effect.

J. L. Atkinson quoted Dr. Murphy as saying, "Do not completely immobilize fractures of the shafts of long bones.

O. R. Reesor, in closing, says the discussion brought out important points in treatment-one of which is that in severe injuries practice "safety first"-call counsel.

E. L. Gowdy and O. R. Reesor were appointed a committee to make arrangements for the annual banquet in December.

The November meeting will be held in conjunction, and as a part of the Green River Medical Society, at Campbellsville.

J. L. ATKINSON, Secretary

Smallpox Diagnosis. Following up the suggestion of Tieche of the allegric reaction in revaccination, J. N. Force and Helen L. Beckwith, Berkley, Calif. (Journal A. M. A., Aug. 14. 1915), have studied the reactions produced in previously vaccinated animals by inoculation with vaccine virus and inoculation with smallpox vesicle contents taken from patients, to test the cutaneous allergy remaining after vaccination, and have devised laboratory methods for the diagnosis of smallpox. Their conclusions are given as follows: "1. Rabbits sensitized by vaccination with vaccine virus will give a marked intradermal reaction with smallpox vesicle contents in from twenty-four to forty-eight hours, but will not give such a reaction with varicella vesicle contents. 2. The cutaneous allegry following the original vaccination was present for at least eight months though there had been no stimulation by the allergen during that period (Rabbit 8). 3. The intradermal reaction was produced with smallpox material nine days after removal from the patient. 4. A laboratory diagnosis of smallpox is, therefore, available to physicians and health officers, since vesicle contents may be shipped in capillary tubes to central laboratories and there used for making intradermal tests on sensitized rabbits or guinea-pigs.''

« PreviousContinue »