Presents a distinctive collection of political, geographical and economic information on the 89 constituent units of the Russian Federation.
This survey offers an insight into the often neglected regional dimension of the politics and economy of the Federation. It includes:
* Individual territory surveys
* Geographical, historical, economic and directory data
* Some 100 current maps.
Background to the Federation
* An essay covering the region as a whole analyzes the relationship between the territories and the Federation
* A chronology of Russia from the 9th century to the end of 2001
* Statistics of major demographic and economic indicators
* Details of the Government of the Russian Federation
Each territorial chapter includes:
* A map, plus geographical and demographic information
* Historical details, followed by a description of the current political situation
* An economic survey presenting the latest available statistics
* A directory of names and addresses of the leading political and administrative officials.